Wednesday, December 20, 2006

More egregiously, why don't we see THIS reported in the US media:

From India eNews:
"Overall, a total of 358,734 temporary visas were issued to Indians in US fiscal 2006, a 14 percent increase from the previous year, Kaestner said, adding that during the same period over 30,000 immigrant visas were also granted to Indians."

I want to make this very clear...I am NOT a xenophobe.

However, I know from personal experience at one of my clients that a small Indian software firm was (and is still probably) using B-1 (Visitor) visas to bring their offshore workers to the United States for work purposes. When I pointed this fact out to the client, their attorneys advised them to send these workers back to India because of the questionable legality of this practice by the Indian firm.

However, I now wonder how many of the 358,734 temporary visas that were were issued to Indians during FY 2006 were B-1 visas that are being misused in similar fashion...

No comments: